Soft drinks, as a part of your daily routine, can destroy your teeth. The sugar in soft drinks can cause tooth decay. The average 12 ounce can of soda contains 9 to 12 teaspoons of sugar. This is important to know because the bacteria that naturally live in your mouth survive by eating the sugar they find on your teeth. As the bacteria digest the sugar, they produce acid. your teeth are bathed in this acid for 20 minutes or more every time you drink a soda. That acid slowly dissolves the protective enamel layer of your teeth until eventually there’s a hole in the surface. This hold can grow into a serious cavity. Even diet drinks, which are sugar-free, contain both phosphoric and citric acid. So to avoid the damage that soft drinks cause, drink water, milk, or diluted fruit juices. These drinks are better for you and they’ll help you keep you smile healthy.